Friday, September 10, 2010

Cheap Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4036

                             Perfect Laptop for Travel

Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4036 LED TruBrite 14-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
If you are looking for price/performance and travel efficiency, this little 14" Toshiba is for you.....I needed to upgrade my laptop before a recent trip and spent a good deal of time researching this one and others at Amazon, CNET, and Consumer Reports. I have always bought Intel chip based processors but made an exception in this case. The AMD Phenom II Triple Core P820 processor is a close match to my HP Desktop Intel i7 in running some of my graphics apps.

The 4 meg of DDR3 memory and additional dynamic graphics memory (256-1917meg) gives this one an edge on other 14" laptops. The 320 gig hard drive is good enough for storage my trips and the optical CD/DVD drive was very good. I played a DVD version of Avatar....display picture was great at 720p HD and the sound through my SONY headphones was excellent. I do a lot of pictures with my Canon cameras and the SDHC reader on the front of this laptop works fast to download my jpgs and mpegs for immediate viewing. The 3 USB ports is good enough....I bought a small Logitech cord wind-up mouse as the touchpad is good but I like to mouse it even in the airplane seats. At home, I share my Canon MP560 printer with my desktop through a second USB port. I also bought a Zip-Linq Cat6 Lan cable for areas where wireless b/g/n is not good or secure, but so far it works well with my LINKSYS Wireless G router at home.

Finally, what I like best is the fact that this 4 lb 10 oz (13"x9") laptop fits nicely in a smaller pocket of my TravelPro carry-on, freeing up room for other travel items so that there was no need to check a bag on my last trip. It also fits perfectly on the pull-down
seat trays. The battery does get a little warm, but it is not the T series laptop battery
which recently has been recalled by Toshiba. Battery life is good for about 4 hours. I spent $549 at Amazon plus delivery....it is a very good value for this price. Also, Amazon did a good job delivering this laptop ahead of schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment